BHI Transportation's new electronic ticketing and reservation system — click
for website with FAQs, how-to instructions, information session videos and more.
BHI Transportation and Baggage Policies
BHI Transportation's Video "Arriving at Deep Point Ferry Terminal and Departing Bald Head Island."
Deep Point Ferry Terminal Aerial and 360 degree Tour
Note: BHI Limited owns and leases the ferry/barge and trams to BHI Transportation, Inc. The ferry/barge system is a privately owned, publicly regulated utility, regulated by the NC Utilities Commission (NCUC). Click HERE for a link to the NCUC public staff page, for consumers resources and complaints. Currently, a potential sale of BHI Transportation, Inc. may become effective, resulting in possible changes to this information. Click HERE for the BHI Transportation website for the latest information.
Getting to and from Bald Head Island:
Bald Head Island is only accessible via passenger ferry or private yacht. No passenger cars are allowed, and the standard mode of transportation is golf cart, bicycle or tram. For all information about transportation items, click HERE for the BHI Transportation website, which includes information about:
- Parking at Deep Point Marina
- Passenger and contractor ferry schedules
- Ticket information
- Tram reservations
- Luggage questions
- Current status
Barge to Bald Head Island:
For large deliveries, the BHI Barge runs from Deep Point Marina to Bald Head Island. Click HERE for the website.
Fort Fisher /Southport Ferry: A passenger and car ferry runs between Fort Fisher and Southport. For the ferry schedule and fees, click HERE.
GETTING AROUND BALD HEAD ISLAND
Golf carts and bicycles are available for rent and for sale:
- Always Ready Golf Carts — Rentals, sales and service / 910-457-4497 / 4-A and 4-B Merchant's Row, Bald Head Island, NC / www.AlwaysReadyCarts.com
- Cary Cart Company — Rentals behind Delphina Cantina on Marina Wynd / sales and service at 261 Edward Teach Wynd, Bald Head Island, NC 28461 / 910-457-7333, ext. #1 / www.CaryCartCo.com
- Coastal Urge — Bicycle rentals / 910-457-4552 / 12 Maritime Way, Bald Head Island, NC 28461
GOLF CART RULES:
Think of the same laws when you drive your car on the mainland. Violation of laws or ordinances will result in law enforcement action, up to and including going to jail.
- You must have a valid driver's license to operate a golf cart on Bald Head Island.
- Drivers with a learner's permit must have a licensed driver accompany them.
- Open alcoholic beverage containers are prohibited in golf carts.
- The speed limit is enforced (18 mph).
- Careless or reckless driving is prohibited.
- Driving while intoxicated (alcohol or drugs) is not tolerated.
- Passengers should remain seated while golf carts are in motion.
- Children are NOT allowed to sit on the lap of golf cart operators.
- Allow internal combustion vehicles to pass when possible, pull to the right side of road.
- Do not hold onto golf carts while riding in-line skates, skateboards or bicycles.
Golf carts must be registered with the Village. The initial registration of a golf cart (first time on island, initial application) must be completed at the Department of Public Safety with staff. Click HERE for the Village of BHI golf cart registration information.
Children should not be in the lap of the driver, as they can impede the driver's ability to maneuver the golf cart. Packages should be secured to the cart, not held by passengers. Again, passengers' hands should be free to hold onto the grab rails. Whenever possible, use hand signals when turning or stopping. This will aid others in knowing your intentions. Please remember golf carts are not toys.