BHI Limited owns and leases the ferry/barge and trams to BHI Transportation. The ferry/barge system is a
publicly regulated utility, regulated by the NC Utilities Commission (NCUC). Click HERE for a link to the NCUC public staff page, for consumers resources and complaints. BHI Limited is working with the BHI Transportation Authority (BHITA) toward the possibility of acquiring the assets.
Getting to and from Bald Head Island:
Bald Head Island is only accessible via passenger ferry or private yacht. No passenger cars are allowed, the standard mode of transportation is golf cart, bicycle or tram. Below are some helpful information in navigating to the island.
Parking at Deep Point Marina:
- First, drop off your luggage at the ferry terminal and then enter the general lot. General lot parking is $11 a day (May 1 - September 30) and $9 a day the remainder of the year. A ticket is issued from an electronic parking device upon entering the lot. You will need to present this ticket to the parking lot attendant for payment upon exiting the lot, then come around and pickup your luggage at the lower level.
- Property owners may purchase an annual general lot pass for $1,000. Premium lot parking is by annual pass only. A premium lot annual pass is $1,200. Contact 910-457-5003 to get a annual pass contract.
Ferry schedule and ticket information:
- For most of the year, ferries leave the mainland on the hour and the island on the half-hour, beginning at 7:00am. The winter schedule may be abbreviated, and the summer schedule expanded. Click HERE for ferry schedules, tram reservations, announcements, general information and current status.
- Full-fare round-trip tickets cost $23.00 for adults and $12.00 for children ages 3-12. There is no charge for children ages two and younger. Tram service to your island destination may be provided based on ticket type and availability.
- A discounted "no-frills" ticket is available for $14.00 at the Bald Head Island Marina for same-day round-trips that originate on the island and require no baggage handling or tram service.
- Bulk 40 round trip tickets are $17.50 and Bulk 80 tickets are available for $15.00. These tickets must be purchased 40 round trip tickets for $700 and 80 for $1,200.
- Residents may purchase an Annual Pass is $1,850.00.
- Contractor rate is $14.00.
- One-way rate is $11.50.
- Oversized baggage is $23 and excess baggage is $5/each.
- Tram reservations should be made online at www.baldheadislandferry.com or by calling 910-457-5003.
Barge to island:
For large deliveries, the BHI Barge runs Monday-Friday, departing 8am, 10am, 12pm and 2pm from Deep Point (weather permitting). The cost for a barge delivery is $50 per ticket. One ticket entitles purchaser to one six-foot space in one lane on the barge. Loads longer than an increment of six feet will be rounded off (i.e., 15-foot load requires 3 tickets: 6+6+3=15 and 14’11” would require two tickets). The phone number to set up a barge transport is 910-457-5205. Click HERE for website.
Fort Fisher /Southport Ferry: A passenger and car ferry runs between Fort Fisher and Southport. The ferry takes about 35 minutes and the schedule runs every 45 minutes with exceptions at beginning of day, mid day and end of day. To get the latest ferry schedules and fees, click HERE.
Sea Tow — Water Taxi
Operating 24/7 with a fleet of six vessels, one of which is a fully enclosed cabin, climate-controlled and with comfortable passenger seating. Call 910-457-6640 or email email@example.com. We are always standing by and able to assist.
Southport Water Taxi
Tow Boat US facilitated
Welcome aboard the "Miss Mary," offering scenic cruises and water taxi service to and from Bald Head Island.
Packing for your trip to Bald Head: While you’ll need to pack some necessary essentials for your visit, you’ll find many of the businesses on the island offer perishable items, items for rent or purchase, as well as various services that can allow you to pack lighter and more efficiently. For your convenience and in an effort to keep the ferry operations running smoothly and on time, we offer the following baggage and packing requirements. Click HERE for complete PDF of requirements.
GETTING AROUND BALD HEAD ISLAND
Golf carts and bicycles are available for rent and for sale:
- Always Ready Golf Carts — Rentals, sales and service / 910-457-4497 / 4-A and 4-B Merchant's Row, Bald Head Island, NC / www.AlwaysReadyCarts.com
- Cary Cart Company — Rentals behind Delphina Cantina on Marina Wynd / sales and service at 261 Edward Teach Wynd, Bald Head Island, NC 28461 / 910-457-7333, ext. #1 / www.CaryCartCo.com
- Coastal Urge — Bicycle rentals / 910-457-4552 / 12 Maritime Way, Bald Head Island, NC 28461
GOLF CART RULES:
Think of the same laws when you drive your car on the mainland. Violation of laws or ordinances will result in law enforcement action, up to and including going to jail.
- You must have a valid driver's license to operate a golf cart on Bald Head Island.
- Drivers with a learner's permit must have a licensed driver accompany them.
- Open alcoholic beverage containers are prohibited in golf carts.
- The speed limit is enforced (18 mph).
- Careless or reckless driving is prohibited.
- Driving while intoxicated (alcohol or drugs) is not tolerated.
- Passengers should remain seated while golf carts are in motion.
- Children are NOT allowed to sit on the lap of golf cart operators.
- Allow internal combustion vehicles to pass when possible, pull to the right side of road.
- Do not hold onto golf carts while riding in-line skates, skateboards or bicycles.
Golf carts must be registered with the Village. The initial registration of a golf cart (first time on island, initial application) must be completed at the Department of Public Safety with staff. Click HERE for the Village of BHI golf cart registration information.
Children should not be in the lap of the driver, as they can impede the driver's ability to maneuver the golf cart. Packages should be secured to the cart, not held by passengers. Again, passengers' hands should be free to hold onto the grab rails. Whenever possible, use hand signals when turning or stopping. This will aid others in knowing your intentions. Please remember golf carts are not toys.