Participation in the BHA
Click HERE to download a Volunteer Application
Architectural Review Committee (ARC)
Bald Head Island is a unique, sub-tropical island and an exemplary work of nature, meriting of our protection and stewardship. The original residents identified the importance of living and playing in harmony with nature. Buying property here means committing to conserve the obvious richness and environmental stability of this sensitive and dynamic coastal barrier island. With careful and competent governance and design, your home can complement and sustain the natural environment. The overarching purpose of the Architectural Review Committee (ARC) and the Unified Design Guidelines is to support the Covenant goal of “enhancing and protecting the value, desirability and attractiveness” of the Bald Head Island properties and maintaining the environment in which they exist.
Click HERE for the Architectural Review page.
- Review architectural and site plans for Association members as authorized by applicable covenants, policies & Design Guidelines.
- Promote procedures that are customer friendly, balancing flexibility with consistency.
- Include appropriate updates on various energy efficient building practices as they become available to the ARC Design Guidelines.
Socialization, Education and Recreation Committee (SER)
The committee seeks to foster a sense of community by helping to coordinate and promote social, educational and recreational programs and events for residents. SER organizes a wide variety of recreational and educational program offerings at the Association Center such as painting workshops, yoga, Zumba, knitting, quilting and Pilates. This committee also drives the popular annual Smith Island Social.
SER sponsors the following ongoing weekly activities. Each are held at BHA's Association Center. Call the BHA at 910-457-4676 with questions about any of the classes.
- Yoga : Mondays & Wednesdays from 11:45am to 1:00pm.
- Pilates : Tuesdays & Thursdays from 10:45am to 11:45am.
- Zumba: Held in the summer season.
- Knitting: Wednesdays 9:30am to 11:30am.
- Card Making Class : Held on the first Wednesday of the Month, 2:00pm to 5:00pm. All levels of experience are welcome to join the Card Making Class that meets in the Bald Head Association Center's Generator Society Room. Call Patty at 910-457-1183 to attend. Classes are for anyone who likes crafting of any kind. You do not need experience, and there are packets included for all attendees that include everything you need to make the cards. Each class includes 3 different cards — 4 of each card, including envelopes — for $30. That’s 12 cards total.
- Other activites are scheduled throughout the year, so please check the Events Tab above for our dynamic calendar of events.
- COMING UP: Stay tuned.
- Increase efforts to broaden involvement of all property owners.
- Continue to support successful current programs.
- Consider activities and services to be offered by BHA for property owners who can only visit a few times per year.
- Continue the archival project with Old Baldy.
- Explore ‘neighborhood adoption’ options for property owners to police designated areas for litter.
- Continue to organize and support biannual liter sweeps.
- Create a plan with the Conservancy to have weekly summer volunteers participate in a “weekly mini litter sweep”
- Provide oversight and support for the community garden area, including plans for expansion.
- In conjunction with staff, provide oversight and support for the boat storage area.
- Develop second stage of boat park, in conjunction with staff.
- Develop a plan for oversight and maintenance of undeveloped and developed common areas.
As stewards of the Bald Head Association's common areas as well as the overall education surrounding island landscaping and native vegetation, this committee has a variety of activities. The purpose of this committee is to help maintain the beauty of the island. Overseas activities related to the BHA's common area.
The RCB sponsors the Annual Spring and Fall Island-Wide Litter Sweeps, as well as guest speakers on subjects such as native plants, butterflies and exploring the viability for deer-resistant plants, plants for birds and wildflowers, etc.
Click HERE to view Native Plants for Coastal North Carolina Landscapes.
Click HERE to read about the importance of the Bald Head Forest understory.
- Monitor the budget and finances.
- Continue to explore ways to reduce or eliminate property owner costs through turning over roads/alleys to Village of BHI.
- Review with auditors the 2017 financials of both BHA and former Stage II Association when completed.
- Update BHA financial policy section of the BHA Policy Manual.
- Begin development of a 5-year budget outlook.
- Explore means for the voice of all non-resident homeowners to be represented on Village-related issues. This includes providing info to homeowners, gathering input and providing feedback at BHA level, as well as finding ways for individuals to best share thoughts and concerns.
- Develop a plan for usage and maintenance of the Battery 4 acquisition.
- Develop a plan for ‘Historic District’ designation of areas on Lighthouse Wynd.
- Continue rollout of BHA Mobile App, collecting feedback and developing ideas for next iteration, in conjunction with staff.
- Develop long-term goals and action plans.
- Establish process to monitor progress of all goals and action plans, in conjunction with the Board.